anygui,anydb, any opinions?

James Tanis jtanis at pycoder.org
Mon Jun 6 17:49:29 EDT 2005

Previously, on Jun 6, Thomas Bartkus said:

# "James Tanis" <jtanis at pycoder.org> wrote in message
# news:mailman.43.1118073133.10512.python-list at python.org...
# > Previously, on Jun 6, Thomas Bartkus said:
# >
# > # "bruno modulix" <onurb at xiludom.gro> wrote in message
# > # news:42a3fc70$0$30762$626a14ce at news.free.fr...
# > # > You mean the "wimp gui builder + db -> ui pipeline" model ? If yes, C
# > # > doesn't have it, C++ doesn't have it (in fact most languages doesn't
# > # > have it) - and ....
# > #
# > #     > .... the fact is that C and C++ are usually considered as much
# > #     > more "serious and professionnal" than VB and the likes.
# > #
# > # Yes but there is another fact that must be considered.
# > # Systems like VB (and the likes) are much more *productive* .
# > #
# > # The secret of that particular success has nothing to do with the
# language
# > # and everything to do with the integrated GUI / IDE available to that
# > # particular (VB) language.
# >
# > That's pretty arguable. C/C++ has no shortage of integrated GUI/IDE
# > available especially if your willing to fork out the same kind of books
# > that you would need to for VB.
# >
# > #
# > # Anything that reduces the overhead involved in producing a
# > # consistent/attractive/idiot proof  user interface makes a far more
# > # productive environment.
# > #
# > # Thomas Bartkus
# >
# > My 2 cents, I'm much more productive with Python and QT Builder as I
# > am with VB and those aren't nearly as intergrated as VB's GUI/IDE. A
# > language's productivity, I believe, rests on how high or low-level the
# > language and its libraries are. Not just that though, productivity is
# > also very much affected by the breadth of the libraries available.
#
# When scripting, Windows or Linux, I also am much more productive with
# Python.
# When automating a process for another human being, I am much more productive
# with a RAD tool like VB.  The effort involved in creating the user front end
# simply overwhelms  all the considerable efficiencies of Python.
#
# When I code wxPython, I find I want to use VB to create/model my user
# interface.  Once I prototype my Windows (Frames!) using VB, I can then xlate
# this to wxPython code.  What I couldn't do without the VB IDE was visualize
# and experiment with the impact of various layouts *before* I lay down code.
# It is simply too onerous to experiment by code manipulation and too easy to
# swish around visually with a mouse.
#
# When I use a GUI designer like wxGlade, I still find it awkward enough to
# merit prototyping with the VB IDE and then mimic the windows I create with
# wxGlade.
#
# > Sure, GUI RAD solutions increase development in a very real way, but you
# > can find an offering for just about every language out there these days.
#
# Yes.  But the tools available for Python are still primitive compared to RAD
# tools like Delphi/Visual Studio.  I still don't know enough wxPython to
# understand what the barriers are to creating a RAD visual design and
# construction tool similar to the Visual Studio environment.
# My ravings here are simply the result of a suspicion -
#
# - The suspicion is that the only barrier is the Python (and Linux!)
# communities grossly underestimating the value of such an undertaking.
# Thomas Bartkus
#

Hmm, it's not that simple though. Unfortunately efforts get spread
among the various projects, wxPython is only one among many. You seem
set on wxPython, and its true, RAD projects based around that toolkit
still seem to be in alpha/beta stages, but that does not go for all the
toolkits. There are no barriers that I know of, but your comparing an
application (vb) that has been 11+ years with one (wxglade) that has
been around what.. maybe three years?

#
#
# --