shelve in a ZipFile?

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Thu Jun 30 22:10:45 EDT 2005

I only just recently had a look at the shelve module, and it
looks pretty handy, my only question being, what if I really
want two shelves?   Must I use two files?

Also, it seems strange that shelve only works with
filenames.  I would've expected there to at least be
a variant that would put a shelve database on a file
that is opened for read/write (that is a file object).

That would be handy if, for example, I wanted to couple
(and compress into the bargain) by putting my two
shelf files into a single zip archive.

Of course, I could do this with temporary files,
but I wonder if there's a simpler way?