scripting browsers from Python

Olivier Favre-Simon olivier.favre-simon at club-internet.fr
Wed Jun 1 00:45:03 EDT 2005

On Tue, 31 May 2005 00:52:33 -0700, Michele Simionato wrote:

> I would like to know what is available for scripting browsers from
> Python.
> For instance, webbrowser.open let me to perform GET requests, but I
> would like
> to do POST requests too. I don't want to use urllib to emulate a
> browser, I am
> interested in checking that browser X really works as intended with my
> application. Any suggestion?
>
>            Michele Simionato

ClientForm	http://wwwsearch.sourceforge.net/ClientForm/

I use it for automation of POSTs of entire image directories to
imagevenue.com/imagehigh.com/etc hosts.

Works above urllib2.

You access forms by name or indice, then you access HTML elements as a
dict attribute of the form.

Support file upload within POST.

The only drawback I've found are:
- does not support nested forms (since forms are returned in a list)
- does not like ill-formed HTML (Uses HTMLParser as the underlying parser.
you may pass a parser class as parameter (say SGMLParser for greater
acceptance of stupid HTML code) but it's tricky because there is no well
defined parser interface)

Hope this helps.