Grand Challenge Pegasus Team: Programming Pegasus Bridge 1 ?

igorcarron at gmail.com igorcarron at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 10:11:30 EDT 2005

Thank you Alex for your feedback.

 What I am really proposing is for others to test their software on our
vehicle for the very reason that there are a lot of unknowns that I
cannot believe can directly modeled into an ODE type of engine (as you
call it.) Several reasons for this:

- one piece of data is the images taken from the vehicle, since we do
not use ranging system like lidar, data fusion using imagery and IMU
data is at the center of devising a good algorithm for an autonomous
vehicle. Unless one were to create a world with different illumination,
shadowing (something that would be quite an undertaking on its own), it
would not be a perfect fit to try out a new algorithm. Another data
stream is sound as recorded in the vehicle, I am not sure on how to
generate this type of information.

- an ODE engine would mean that the dynamics of the vehicle and the
terrain would be known in advance. This is rarely the case.

- Our software is being tested on that vehicle already and the vehicle
is ready, it would cost us less to try it out on the vehicle directly.

Thanks for the pointer on PyODE.

Igor.