Lisp development with macros faster than Python development?..

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Tue Jul 5 22:03:57 EDT 2005

"seberino at spawar.navy.mil" <seberino at spawar.navy.mil> writes:

>> Well, his Viaweb company was founded in about '95, right? So he probably just
>> used Lisp because Python wasn't as well known yet. ;-)
>
> David
>
> That is what I thought too.  It makes sense but I wasn't sure.  Still
> ain't.
> The problem is that questions like 'What lang is fastest to develop
> in?'
> are hard to answer definitively.

True. You might start by asking which lets you write the fewest LOC,
as studies during the 70s showed that programmers tended to write the
same number of LOC/day, regardless of the language chosen.

The problem with the LOC measurement is that the most productive days
are the ones where you refactor and eliminate a thousand LOC. That
sort of throws the whole thing off.

     <mike