[path-PEP] Path inherits from basestring again

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan at pauahtun.org
Fri Jul 29 22:36:57 EDT 2005

Hi All--

Tony Meyer wrote:

> So far, there have been various statements that look like +0 for __div__,
> but no-one with a +1.  (And I've said this a couple of times now, which
> really is just trolling for a +1 from someone).
>
> > It's not a question of saving characters, but readability which, as
> > you've said, is a matter of opinion.

I like / as a shortcut to joinwith().  I like it a lot.  I like it so
much I'll give you a +2.

> (Those who are offended by sweeping generalisations should ignore this next
> bit)
>
> I think it's also worth considering that Windows users are more clueless
> than users of posix systems.  The readability of __div__ comes from
> familiarity with posix filesystems; for a Windows user, \ would be the
> natural character.  So we're making things more readable for users that are
> already more likely figure things out, and less readable for users that have
> trouble figuring things out.

This is not only bullshit, it's elitist bullshit.  "Windows users are
more clueless than users of posix systems."  Pfui.  Prove it or withdraw
it.

> 1.  ISTM that standard library modules should be as readable as possible,
> even for those that don't use them.  If I'm reading the source for module X
> and it uses a Path object, then it should be pretty straightforward to
> understand what is happening without also having to read the Path
> source/docs.  This (readability without knowing the language/standard
> libraries) is a huge benefit of using Python.

It's overrated.  It must be macho to say "I learned Python without
reading books."  Next you'll tell me you never ask for directions when
you're lost.

> 2.  If I did use the Path module, then I wouldn't use __div__, because it
> looks less readable to me.  I suppose I might find that I got annoyed typing
> joinpath, but I doubt it.  Also, because I have followed this PEP, I know
> that __div__ means joinwith, so if I read code that used path, I would
> understand it - it's too late for me to try reading code as a 'fresh' user
> and see if it confuses me or not.

Then that's your right, but don't try to take / away from people who use
it and like it.

Metta,
Ivan
Ivan Van Laningham
God N Locomotive Works
http://www.andi-holmes.com/
Army Signal Corps:  Cu Chi, Class of '70
Author:  Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours