Determining actual elapsed (wall-clock) time

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sat Jul 2 16:53:52 EDT 2005

Roy Smith wrote:
> Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote:
> If you get the UTC time, daylight savings time doesn't enter the equation.

Of course... I didn't think of that approach.  I don't actually care
about absolute time, so this should work fine for at least the DST case.

> If you care about time, you want your system clock controlled by NTP.
> There's just no excuse not to.

I guess as long as the NTP client is set up to ensure the time
adjustments are smaller than some value X, it would be acceptable.  I'll
have to look into how to set up Windows XP to prevent users from
changing the time on their own, assuming that's possible.

> Is there some reason you can't just use the system clock?

I was anticipating use of the system (running on Windows in this case)
by users who might decide to change the time, and in certain cases that
could cripple the software.  I hadn't thought of the possibility of
simply preventing that, though if I insist on an NTP client being
installed, they shouldn't have a problem with that.

Thanks for correcting my thought process...

-Peter