namespaces

George Sakkis gsakkis at rutgers.edu
Sun Jul 31 12:14:32 EDT 2005

Paolino wrote:
> Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>
> > def translate(text):
> >     import string
> >     all=string.maketrans('','')
> >     badcars=all.translate(all,string.letters+string.digits)
> >     table=string.maketrans(badcars,'_'*len(badcars))
> >     return text.translate(table)
> >
> > No pollution.
>
> And no efficience.Recalculating all,badcars and table was not an
> acceptable solution ,sorry if I didn't state this point :(

Then write a closure. You get both encapsulation and efficience, and as
a bonus, customization of the translating function:

import string

def translateFactory(validChars=string.letters+string.digits,
                     replaceChar='_'):
    all=string.maketrans('','')
    badcars=all.translate(all,validChars)
    table=string.maketrans(badcars, replaceChar*len(badcars))
    def translate(text):
        return text.translate(table)
    # bind any attributes you want to be accessible
    # translate.badcars = badcars
    # ...
    return translate

tr = translateFactory()