Filtering out non-readable characters

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Tue Jul 19 00:51:16 EDT 2005

Michael Ströder wrote:

>>'ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ'
>
> Wouldn't this be a candidate for making the Python language stricter?
>
> Do you remember old Python versions treating l.append(n1,n2) the same
> way like l.append((n1,n2)). I'm glad this is forbidden now.

That wasn't a syntax issue; it was an API issue. list.append() allowed
multiple arguments and interpreted them as if they were a single tuple.
That was confusing and unnecessary.

Allowing generator expressions to forgo extra parentheses where they
aren't required is something different, and in my opinion, a good thing.

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu

   -- Richard Harter