PEP on path module for standard library

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Fri Jul 22 14:33:03 EDT 2005

Reinhold Birkenfeld wrote:
> FYI: I modified the path module a bit so that it fits many of the suggestions
> from python-dev, and put the result in the Python CVS tree under
> nondist/sandbox/path.

By the way, thanks for doing this Reinhold!

> Most prominent change is that it doesn't inherit from str/unicode anymore.
> I found this distinction important, because as a str subclass the Path object
> has many methods that don't make sense for it.

On this topic, has anyone ask the original author (Jason Orendorff)
whether he has some background on this decision that might benefit the
discussion?  Given the elegance of the design of the path module, I
would think if he has an opinion on the matter it is probably based on
more thought than any of us have given it so far.

And maybe he would even say that it was a wrong decision at the time and
he'd do it differently the next time.

-Peter