PyUnicodeUCS4_AsUnicode error

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Jul 5 15:56:02 EDT 2005

fjs205 at gmail.com wrote:
> When I try to import gtk, or even start some programs that use Python I
> get the error:
>
> "ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gobject.so:
> undefined symbol: PyUnicodeUCS4_AsUnicode"
>
> Can anyone shed some light on this?
>
> FWIW, I have reinstalled python, tried v2.3.4 instead of 2.4,
> reinstalled GTK, searched for a unicode library problem (I reinstalled
> libunicode too).

It appears that your build of python-gtk does not match your Python
build. I don't know what you mean by "reinstalled GTK" - did you build
it yourself, from scratch, or did you use some kind of Linux
distribution? Also, where did you get Python-GTK from? If you also
got Python-GTK from your Linux distribution, you most likely found
a bug in that distribution - ask your Linux vendor for help. Meanwhile,
it might be easiest to uninstall Python-GTK if you don't use it.

If you built something yourself, you managed to build Python-GTK
and Python inconsistently. While the Python build is for UCS-2, your
Python-GTK build is for UCS-4. One possible cause might be that
Python-GTK was build on a different machine than Python 2.4.

Regards,
Martin