map/filter/reduce/lambda opinions and background unscientific mini-survey

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Fri Jul 1 22:37:28 EDT 2005

"Sean McIlroy" <sean_mcilroy at yahoo.com> writes:

> Peter Hansen wrote:
> <snip>
>> Sean, what gave you the impression this would change?
> if that's the case then list comprehensions and/or "first class
> functions" are likely to be the next target.

The existence of list comprehensions are the reason that these
functions are going away, so they aren't likely to be next. It's all
part of "There should be one-- and preferably only one --obvious way
to do it."

Personally, I hope they wind up in a "functional" module, so you can add
"from functional import *" to the top of your scripts, and keep doing
exactly what you've been doing.

        <mike