PyX, matplotlib, 3D & LaTeX

Francisco Borges francisco.borges at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 05:00:29 EDT 2005

Robert Kern wrote:
> Matthias R. wrote:
> > Unfortunately matplotlib is only a 2D-plotting library.
> >
> > Do you know another one with 3D-capabilities as well?
>
> There's PyX.

Sorry, PyX can't do 3D plots.

                            -----------

I like PyX, use it a lot and would suggest it as a beter plotting
library than the ones at Scipy (for as long as you don't need on-screen
plotting).

I just saw matplotlib this week while searching for something that
would do 3D, it seemed pretty nice and it does have many more features
than PyX, is certainly more mature than PyX and more high level.

On the other hand PyX: LaTeX support seems to be way ahead and it can
be used to draw (very funky) figures.

My experience with PyX is that:

1. it takes more lines of code (than what I fell is needed) to do it;
2. it (still) lacks easy ways to do frequent things (like filling)
3. but once you got it done; the figures/plots are *PERFECT*.

Over PyX you must also be aware that:

a) PyX can't (yet) do pie-charts.

b) No, Pyx can't plot 3D (yes, despite using a 3D plot at their
webpage, it does *not* plot 3D).

c) Documentation can be very confusing at times, so start at the
examples;

d) PyX is not stable yet, the last 3 (or 2?) PyX releases were all
backwards incompatible.

Cheers,
Francisco