A Module on Time & Date

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 14:12:31 EDT 2005

Robert Maas, see http://tinyurl.com/uh3t wrote:

>> From: Robert Kern <rkern at ucsd.edu>
>> As you can see in the datetime documentation, the module was introduced
>> in Python 2.3. I recommend updating your Python installation.
>
> What do you mean "your"?? I don't have any Python installation of my
> own. All I have is what this small local ISP provides on its Unix shell
> machine which I share with hundreds of other users. There's no way I
> can install a new version of anything on the system account.
> Your recommendation will be disregarded as total crap. <plonk>

You might also consider learning how to find answers to all your problems by
yourself in the future, as this kind of response to a perfectly reasonable,
valid suggestion pretty much ensures that people won't be terribly inclined to
help you in the future.

Robert's recommendation was valid, to the point, and perfectly feasible. As
Skip further indicated, it's trivial to add your local python; you can also
keep local modules (without a full python) in your own account and configure
$PYTHONPATH.  Your response was rude and stupid.

Cheers,