odd python/linux/cherrypy behavior

Bill Mill bill.mill at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 19:54:31 EDT 2005

On 7/16/05, Neil Hodgson <nyamatongwe+thunder at gmail.com> wrote:
> Bill Mill:
>
> > ... a FAT partition for data as a dmz which both linux and NT can
>  > access ...
> > Yesterday, I downloaded the new release of cherrypy, and stuck it on
> > the dmz drive. ...
> > Eventually, after thinking it's a hosts file problem, or a firewall
> > problem, I figure out that if I move it to my ext3 drive, it again
> > works perfectly.
>
>     Have you looked at your mount options to make sure they are sane?
> Possibly you have mounted with only short (truncated) file names or all
> the files have their execute bit on and that is unexpected or there are
> non-ASCII characters in file names or ...

Definitely not mounted with short file names, and there aren't any
non-ASCIIs in the file names; in both cases I imagine that the file
wouldn't run at all. In this case, however, the file does run, and
open a socket, it just can't seem to receive connections on it. I have
tried running the file as su, with no success.

The FAT dirs are mounted with the following options:
defaults,user,umask=000 . I'm not sure what you mean by the execute
bit, but all files do have execute permission. Here's the output of an
ls -l on the file I'm talking about:

-rwxrwxrwx  1 root root 1073 2005-07-15 21:40
/d/download/cherrypy/tutorial/tut01_helloworld.py

Any other ideas?

Peace
Bill Mill
bill.mill at gmail.com