Determining method type given its string name presentation and its corresponding object reference.

Apple newtonapples at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 19:45:24 EDT 2005

Hi I am a bit new to python.  I was wondering if there is a way to
determine whether or not a given string is a member method of a given
object:

def is_a_method(self, attr_name):
   'returns True if attr_name is an instance method of self; false
otherwise'

The problem is that I have overridden __repr__ in such a way that it's
not self-contained. It makes a call to a member method, call it m(),
that would call up getattr() which eventually makes another call back
to __repr__:

Example output:
(<bound method Class.attr_name of "INSTANCE'S __repr__() HERE">).

So, I want to trap all attr_name that are methods comeing into m() and
make sure they're not passed on to getatrr() i.e. making __repr__
self-contained (hopefully).

Is there a simple way to determine a given attr_name is_a_method()?
Thanks in advance for all your help.