Cat and Mouse (wes Re: Efficiency of using long integers to hold bitmaps)

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Sun Jul 10 22:58:29 EDT 2005

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 19:30:58 -0400, "Terry Reedy" <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:

>""Martin v. Löwis"" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote in message
>news:42D1A678.1040705 at v.loewis.de...
>> Right. OTOH, I notice a frequent game of Katze und Maus (cat and mouse?)
>
>Yes, apparently with the same idiomatic meaning, as you decribe the game
>here perfectly.

I think you are right about some game happening, but I'm not sure it's cat and mouse.
To me, an incomplete question feels like an invitation to play "20 questions" regarding
what the real problem is. So I get a little annoyed, and often just bypass the post.
If I answer, the residual annoyance sometimes leads me to withhold my best guess, and
complain instead. Hence probably the cat and mouse impression. Not very big of me, but
OTOH a think a bit of a nudge towards better questions is not a bad thing. OTO3H, maybe
I should just silently pass up 20-questions invitations and not pollute this pleasant space
with perfumes of annoyance (since however diffuse, they are apparently pungent enough
for some to notice ;-)

Regards,
Bengt Richter