map vs. list-comprehension

Fri Jul 1 14:42:01 EDT 2005

Roy Smith wrote:
> Look at what happened to C when it mutated into C++.  In isolation, most of
> the features of C++ seem like good ideas.  Taken together, it's a huge
> hairy mess that most people only understand increasingly larger subsets of.
> Fred Brooks called it the second system syndrome.

If you read "The Design and Evolution of C++" by Stroustrupp, you can
see how most of current C++ is a direct result of its initial design
requirements, not an aglomeration of features, each of which is a "good
idea."  I take from the resulting big hairy mess that the design goals
themselves are at fault for the big hairy mess.

--Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org