Python for everything?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Fri Jul 1 11:52:14 EDT 2005

Grant Edwards wrote:
> [Why are Python programs referred to as "scripts". Python no
> more a "scripting" language than Java, Pascal, Smalltalk,
> Objective C.]

I think it's because the term "script" is a nice, simple word that
evokes the idea of "source file that can be directly executed", which is
a convenient thing to be able to say in fewer words than that...

I think it would be unusual for anyone to refer to a multi-file Python
program as merely a "script".

We do often call individual source files in a large Python program
"scripts", but I think that's probably just out of habit or association:
calling single Python source files "scripts" is so common, even if they
aren't scripts in the sense of "individually executable files written in
a scripting language" any more.

-Peter