Opinions on KYLIX 3 (Delphi 4 Linux)

Thomas Bartkus thomasbartkus at comcast.net
Thu Jul 21 20:58:37 EDT 2005

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 18:37:48 +1000, David Trudgett wrote:

<snip>
> My advice would be to steer clear of Kylix and choose one of the other
> environments suggested to you. If you really like Pascal, fpc may be a
> possibility as someone mentioned. ...
<snip>

Well - I really like Python!

But - climbing back on the soapbox - far more important than any
linguistic quibble is a robust GUI interface that might *unburden* any
language from the tedium of creating a powerful and effective user
interface.

I would go so far as to say that, while this is the only thing an atrocity
like VB has going for it, it *trumps* most everything. This was the great
hope of the Delphi<->Kylix thing.  The Windows implemntation (Delphi)
was/is a magnificent productivity tool.  And if Kylix has failed then we
are still scratching about with TKinter, Glade, wxGlade, EasyGUI, or
{whatever} just to to bring up the rear on Linux.

Python is fun, but how do we get it to desktop primetime ?
Thomas Bartkus