frozenset question

Wed Jul 6 19:15:57 EDT 2005

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 10:15:31 -0700, George Sakkis wrote:

> Well, they *may* be interchangable under some conditions, and that was
> the OP's point you apparently missed.

I didn't miss anything of the sort. That's why I spent 15 minutes actually
producing test cases to MEASURE if there was any detectable speed
differences between accessing set and frozenset instead of wasting time
worrying about "tiny" differences in performance that are almost certainly
lost in the noise in real code.

If, over a thousand runs of the program, you save a millisecond of time in
total, but it costs you two seconds to type the comment in the code
explaining why you used frozenset instead of the more natural set, then
your "optimization" is counter-productive. Even just considering the
question is a waste of valuable developer time! THAT is the lesson of
premature optimization: don't even THINK about optimizing code until you
have it WORKING and you have MEASURED that it is too slow.

--
Steven.