Outlook COM: how to create a MailItem from a .msg file

Guy Lateur guy.lateur at b-b.be
Mon Jul 4 03:42:36 EDT 2005

Hi all,

I've been writing some code to move some data into and out of Outlook (2003
+ Exchange 2003). I have some email .msg files on our file server, and I
can't seem to get them back into the Outlook object I need, ie a MailItem.
I've tried to use App.CopyFile() to (temporarily) put the file in an OL
folder. Problem is, however, this returns a DocumentItem and not a MailItem.

Is there any way I could 'cast' this DItem into a MItem? Apparently, OL
treats it as any general document - which, btw, shows in the view, too; it
has another icon and you have to open it to view it). Or maybe there's
another way to open it; I really only need the object in memory. Any ideas?

TIA,