inheriting file object

harold fellermann harold.fellermann at upf.edu
Wed Jul 6 13:29:18 EDT 2005

On 06.07.2005, at 18:58, Jeremy wrote:

> Hello all,
> 	I am trying to inherit the file object and don't know how to do it.  I
> need to open a file and perform operations on it in the class I am
> writing.  I know the simple syntax is:
>
> class MyClass(file):
>
> but I don't know how to make it open the file for reading/writing.  Can
> anyone help me out with this?

just invoke file.__init__ inside your own init. if you don't need to do
any initializiation in myFile.__init__, just leave the method and
file.__init__ will be invoked automatically.

class myFile(file) :
	def __init__(self,fname,mode="r") :
		file.__init__(self,fname,mode)

for line in myFile('testfile') :
	print line

- harold -

--
If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.