secure uploading

Jorgen Grahn jgrahn-nntq at algonet.se
Tue Jul 19 12:47:47 EDT 2005

On 16 Jul 2005 18:28:33 -0700, macaronikazoo <macaronikazoo at gmail.com> wrote:
> well I want a script to upload something automatically, so i need a
> python script to do that for me.

Well, you need /something/. If you are on a Unix machine, you'd be better
off with a cron job.

> my hoster has ssl enabled on their
> server and I have generated a key.  but now I need to know how to
> upload something using ssl to the server.  how to I ftp something to
> the server using ssl?

Are you sure your hoster doesn't provide ssh access to his machines? If he
does, there is a wealth of protocols and tools for secure file transfer:
scp, sftp, tar-over-ssh, cpio-over-ssh, rsync-over-ssh, ...

With some loss of security, you may even be able to avoid handling
passwords.

/Jorgen

--
  // Jorgen Grahn <jgrahn@       Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu
\X/                algonet.se>   R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!