Inheritance/Late Private Binding

Michael Hoffman cam.ac.uk at mh391.invalid
Wed Jul 6 20:55:57 EDT 2005

Jeremy Moles wrote:

> Forgive me if this topic has been brought up before, but I was curious
> as to why I was getting this behavior and was hoping someone
> knowledgeable could explain. :)

What behavior?

> I "feel" like even without the explicit call to a simple base ctor(),
> mangling should still happen correctly. This doesnt, however, seem to be
> the case...

How is mangling happening incorrectly?

Functions in base classes that are overridden by subclasses aren't
called implicitly.

Also, I think using the term "ctor()" is confusing since you don't seem
to have anything callable named ctor. As for the constructor, just call
it __init__, it will avoid confusion with __new__.
--
Michael Hoffman