Python on a public library computer

Anton Vredegoor anton.vredegoor at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 08:31:26 EDT 2005

This is about how to start a Python interpreter on a very locked down
library computer.

Some time ago I started a thread about it.(Google won't let me reply to
older topics so I'm starting a new topic with the same title) A few
days ago I found a Jython console applet that can be run from a
webpage:

http://tams-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/applets/jython/primacheck.html

This opens a webpage (well, maybe after some editing, I can't get
google to display this link on the same line) which after some time aks
the user to sign an applet which then turns out to be a complete Jython
editor and interpreter!

I'm looking for the sourcecode of a project like this so that I can
host such a page myself and include more modules. Can anyone reach the
author or has anyone written something like it and is willing to share
the code? Alternatively can someone give me some tips about how to
write it myself? Currently I'm at the stage where I can compile and run
the examples (and the applets!) on the Jython homepage. I'm still
wondering about how to sign applets.

Maybe the interpreter could be done by using the code.py module from
Jython itself and just redirect stdin and stdout to an applet?

Anton

p.s. John Lee: You remembered correctly, such a thing exists.