Codecs

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan at pauahtun.org
Fri Jul 8 22:35:43 EDT 2005

Hi All--
As far as I can tell, after looking only at the documentation (and not
searching peps etc.), you cannot query the codecs to give you a list of
registered codecs, or a list of possible codecs it could retrieve for
you if you knew enough to ask for them by name.

Why not?  It seems to me that if I want to try to read an unknown file
using an exhaustive list of possible encodings, the best place to keep
the most current list is the codec registry itself, not in the
documentation for the codec module.

Metta,
Ivan
Ivan Van Laningham
God N Locomotive Works
http://www.andi-holmes.com/
Army Signal Corps:  Cu Chi, Class of '70
Author:  Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours