Help - Classes and attributes

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Wed Jul 13 22:22:44 EDT 2005

rh0dium wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I believe I am having a fundamental problem with my class and I can't
> seem to figure out what I am doing wrong.  Basically I want a class
> which can do several specific ldap queries.  So in my code I would have
> multiple searches.  But I can't figure out how to do it without it
> barfing..
>
> The error is straightforward ..
>
> LDAP Version 2.0.8
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "./ldap-nsc.py", line 62, in ?
>     l.search()
>   File "./ldap-nsc.py", line 40, in search
>     ldap_result_id = l.search_s(baseDN, searchScope, searchAttrs,
> retrieveAttrs)
> AttributeError: NSCLdap instance has no attribute 'search_s'
>

> The code is also I believe straight forward..
>
> import ldap
>
> class NSCLdap:
>
>     def __init__(self,server="sc-ldap.nsc.com"):
>         who=""; cred=""
>         self.server=server
>         try:
>             print "LDAP Version", ldap.__version__
>             l=ldap.open(server)
>             l.simple_bind_s(who, cred)
>             l.protocol_version=ldap.VERSION3
>         except ldap.LDAPError, error_message:
>             print "Couldn't Connect to %s  %s " %
> (server,error_message)
>
>     def search(self, baseDN="o=nsc.com",
> retrieveAttrs=None,searchAttrs="cn=*klass*" ):
>         searchScope = ldap.SCOPE_SUBTREE
>         try:

If you had bothered to do some elementary debugging, like "print
repr(l)" here, just before the exception-triggering statement, ....

>             ldap_result_id = l.search_s(baseDN, searchScope,
> searchAttrs, retrieveAttrs)
>             result_set = []
>             while 1:
>                 result_type, result_data = l.result(ldap_result_id, 0)
>                 if (result_data == []):
>                         break
>                 else:
>                         ## here you don't have to append to a list
>                         ## you could do whatever you want with the
> individual entry
>                         ## The appending to list is just for
> illustration.
>                         if result_type == ldap.RES_SEARCH_ENTRY:
>                                 result_set.append(result_data)
>             print result_set
>         except ldap.LDAPError, error_message:
>             print "Errors on Search %s " % error_message
>
>     def setBaseDN(self, baseDN="o=nsc.com"):
>         return baseDN
>
> if __name__ == '__main__':
>
>     l = NSCLdap()
>     l.search()
>

> I would love some pointers - clearly my code thinks that search_s is an
> attribute of my class but it's not..

You are confusing the bejaysus out of yourself and your audience by
using "l" as a name (1) at all (2) to represent two *different* things,
one in script-global scope -- l = NSCLdap() --  and one in the __init__
method of your class -- l=ldap.open(server).

Use two different sensible names; then your real problem should become
apparent -- unless of course in the meantime some wally thinks it a good
idea to prevent your attaining a clue yourself by spoon-feeding you.