PostgreSQL & Python vs PHP

Bruno Desthuilliers bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr
Sun Jul 24 07:22:06 EDT 2005

Luis P. Mendes a écrit :
(snip)

> I need to build it from the server and also client side.
>
> For the client side I'll be using Python.
>
> But for the server side, I would like to hear some opinions.  Is it worth
> learning Php?

I dont think so - unless you have no other choice !-)

More seriously, Python is at least as good (much better IMHO...) as PHP
for web applications, and the only thing (the only I can think of...)
that's really easier to do with PHP is to write unmaintainable code with
all logic and presention mixed up, global variables coming from outer
space, etc...

Another point is that, since you'll need to implement your domain model
in Python for the client app anyway, duplicating it in PHP would not
only be a waste of time, but also lead to a maintence nightmare. Using
Python on both the client and server side, you'll just have to write
specific controllers and views for the web application.

A last thing is that PostgreSQL supports Python as an extension language.

My 2 cents...