map/filter/reduce/lambda opinions and background unscientific mini-survey

Stian Søiland stian at soiland.no
Wed Jul 6 14:42:51 EDT 2005

On 2005-07-06 02:46:27, George Sakkis wrote:

> So, who would object the full-word versions for python 3K ?
> def -> define
> del -> delete
> exec -> execute
> elif -> else if

I'm all for it. I would even be tempted of changing def to function, but
it would look stupid in:

    class A:
        function make_my_day(self):
            return "Your day"
    a = A()

since a.make_my_day() is really a method, not a standalone function.
We could use "function" instead of "lambda" though =)

Objections for the "else if" might be that it sounds like you can
replace "else if" with "else x=94" if you want. Thumbs up for "else if"
because it explains what it is much better than "elif".  "elseif" ?

--
Stian Søiland               Work toward win-win situation. Win-lose
Trondheim, Norway           is where you win and the other lose.