PyGTK or wxPython (not a flame war) on Windows

Dave Cook davecook at nowhere.net
Fri Jul 22 10:03:16 EDT 2005

On 2005-07-22, TPJ <tprimke at interia.pl> wrote:

> 7. "(...) The pygtk (and gtk port in general) does not yet support
> threading on windows. (...) GTK 2.0 is supposed to fix it but support
> isn't available *yet*. (...)" May 17 2002

Pretty sure this hasn't been the case for a long time.  The current stable
version of gtk is 2.6.

> sure if PyGTK is stable on Windows... For now I know that wxPython runs
> well on Windows.

I've used pygtk with success on windows.  I suggest installing the gladewin
package and pygtk, then perhaps hacking some of the demos in the pygtk
distro.

http://gladewin32.sourceforge.net/index.php
http://www.pcpm.ucl.ac.be/~gustin/win32_ports/

One advocacy point: There are complete reference docs, an extensive
tutorial, and a constantly evolving FAQ for pygtk.

One point against: requires X11 on a Mac; definitely not native there,
though that's where I do a lot of my pygtk development.

> I be able to make an executable (using Py2Exe) of an application that
> uses PyGTK?

Yes.  http://www.async.com.br/faq/pygtk/index.py?req=show&file=faq21.005.htp

Dave Cook