pygtk does ... ?

Thomas Bartkus thomasbartkus at comcast.net
Fri Jul 8 14:03:56 EDT 2005

I am experimenting (flailing around?) with glade and python.  Both under MS
Windows and Linux.

I understand why I want to "import gtk"
It gives me access to the critical gui program loop
   gtk.main() and main_quit()

I am also very grateful for
  import gtk.glade
This lets me open my xml format glade file
   gtk.glade.XML("MyGladeFile.glade")
full of defined gtk widgets and the function
   signal_autoconnect(dic)
which lets me hang my Python callback routines onto those gtk widgets.

Whew!  At least I've gotten started. It sure wasn't easy.

The question is -
   What the heck is the pygtk library for?

help(pygtk) tells me not much more than -
   "Python bindings for the GTK+ widget set"

Why would I want to "import pygtk" with it's single function
"require(version)"?
What is it supposed to do?  Where does it fit in?

Or does it fit in at all?
Thomas Bartkus