How can I import a py script by its absolute path name?

James Dennett jdennett at acm.org
Fri Jul 15 22:18:54 EDT 2005

J.Bijsterbosch wrote:

> Hello Edward,
>
> "Edvard Majakari" <edvard+news at majakari.net> schreef in bericht
> news:87ackpeeag.fsf at titan.staselog.com...
>
>>Thorsten Kampe <thorsten at thorstenkampe.de> writes:
>>

>>>"sys.path.append('c:\\xxx\\yyy')" or "sys.path.append('c:/xxx/yyy')"
>>
>>Well, of course. As I said, it was untested :) I just copied the path
>
> string,
>
>>and didn't remember Windows uses path names which need special
>>treatment.
>

> Hmm, what you call special treatment<g> comes from pythons deep underlying C
> and C++ language heietidge I presume. A backslash in a C or C++ string means
> the following character is a so called escape character, like \n represents
> a newline and \r a return to the beginning of a line.
> If you really want a backslash you need to type it twice like so \\. Has
> nothing to do with Windows...;-))

Actually, it does have a connection to Windows.

On Unix, backslashes are rarely used for anything *except* escape
characters.  Pathnames tend not to include backslashes, so in most
cases it's not necessary to escape backslashes in path names.  On
Windows, however, backslash is a valid path separator, and must be
escaped.

So, on Unix, for a path separator, you type "/".  On Windows you
can either do the same, or type "\\".  (Or (ab)use raw strings.)

-- James