Web frame systems vs. pure Python

Rob Cowie cowie.rob at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 07:56:34 EDT 2005

I don't know what your project is, but a web framework might make your
system more scalable and maintainable if it gets larger. They often
provide useful mechanisms for maintaining state and persistance.

Template systems IMHO should be considered separately from App
frameworks (although they may be integrated). If you will frequently be
rendering web pages that are predominantly static but augmented with
dynamically generated/retrieved data, templates are a good way to go.
However, they can confuse if your system is only simple. In that case,
I wouldn't go for a full blown templating engine but 'roll my own'
using python dictionaries and 'string interpolation' (a daft name as it
isn't really interpolation).

Furthermore, app frameworks are sometimes a pain to install on a
webserver, particularly if you do not have control of it.

It all depends on your project size, your willingness to spend some
serious time climbing the learning curve associated with a framework,
and the server you wish to deploy on.