Why does reply to messages on this list put the sender in the To

Rocco Moretti roccomoretti at hotpop.com
Tue Jul 12 12:20:48 EDT 2005

Peter Decker wrote:
> On 7/12/05, Dark Cowherd <darkcowherd at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Most lists when i hit reply it puts the list address back in the To
>>address and some lists allow you to configure this.
>>
>>But in this list reply sends the mail back as a private mail and there
>>seems to be no option to configure this.
>>
> In cases where people are discussing problems and supplying solutions,
> replying to the list is essential so that as many people as possible
> can benefit from the knowledge contained in the reply. Private replies
> only benefit the lone recipient, while list replies benefit everyone
> on the list and everyone who later searches the archives.

There have been some q&a lists I've been on where the sole content of
the list is people posting questions. Questions rarely get a response
on-list. It makes the list practically worthless.  To top it off, the
archive of the mailing list only lists the questions, but never the
(private) answers. It makes Google a pain to use, as you get hits to
people asking the same question you want, but never the answers.

Sorry, had to vent.