PEP on path module for standard library

Stefan Rank stefan.rank at ofai.at
Fri Jul 22 04:21:53 EDT 2005

on 22.07.2005 00:21 Michael Hoffman said the following:
> Reinhold Birkenfeld wrote:
>
>>John Roth wrote:
>>

>>>Why did Guido want a PEP?
>>
>>He said,
>>
>>"""
>>Whoa! Do we really need a completely different mechanism for doing the
>>same stuff we can already do? The path module seems mostly useful for
>>folks coming from Java who are used to the Java Path class.
>  > """
>
> What is this Java Path class? I have been STFWing and have found nothing
> on it in the. Indeed if you search for "Java Path class" (with quotes)
> almost half of the pages are this message from Guido. ;)
>
> Any Java hackers here want to tell us of the wonders of the Java Path
> class?

no such thing exists.

there is only the `File` class that incorporates a little bit of the
`path` functionality and some of the python built-in `file` functionality.

my little self would actually propose to make *path* a built-in type as
an intermediate between file and basestring/str/unicode (the latter is
probably needed).

*ducks*