threads and sleep?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Jul 7 18:25:21 EDT 2005

Jonathan Ellis wrote:
> Peter Hansen wrote:
>>I can't address the issue of whether or not "most" such projects require
>>distributed locking, because I'm not familiar with more than half of
>>such projects, as you appear to be. <wink>
>
> Your sarcasm is cute, I suppose, but think about it for a minute.  If
> the opposite of what I assert is true, why would even the mainstream
> press be running articles along the lines of "multicore CPUs mean
> programming will get tougher because locking is hard to get right and
> you can't just scale by relying on the cpu to run your one
> thread/process really fast anymore."
>
> http://www.gotw.ca/publications/concurrency-ddj.htm for one example.

Thanks, but then let me remove the last (sarcastic) part, the "as you
appear to be", and just leave the rest as is.  I am *not* familiar with
this issue, but nevertheless still feel that the OP's problem does not
involve any such locking, so although it's quite possible that you are
correct, I have nothing more to add on the matter.  If you think he
needs locking, and that therefore multi-process stuff via Pyro might not
work, he's probably the guy to talk to...  I happen to feel it would
probably work fine.

-Peter