Newb: Telnet 'cooked data','EOF' queries.

Jeff Epler jepler at unpythonic.net
Sun Jul 31 09:32:05 EDT 2005

On Sun, Jul 31, 2005 at 01:30:43PM +0100, glen wrote:
> Could someone explain what "cooked data" is.

The telnet protocol contains special sequences which are interpreted by
the telnet client or server program.  These are discussed in the telnet
RFC, which is RFC854 according to the telnetlib docstring.

"Cooked" data is data after these special sequences are removed.

> Also when trying read_all() the program seems to lock up, which I assume
> is because it is waiting for an EOF, but 'when' is an EOF received.

As far as I know, the only EOF in telnet is when the other side closes
the socket.

Jeff