Problems with permissions etc

Paul Rubin http
Thu Jul 28 04:15:26 EDT 2005

"Frank Millman" <frank at chagford.com> writes:
> My reasons for wanting the mac address are nothing to do with security.
> I have in mind a retail point-of-sale situation, where I want to record
> which transactions took place at which point-of-sale. I hope that, in
> this context, my use of the mac address will be safe enough.

Don't count on it.  There was a widely publicized exploit at some big
retail chain (maybe Target) when they did something like that over a
wifi network a year or so ago.  Attackers with the right gear had
themselves a party.  If you're moving data that represents real-world
money, you have to assume someone will launch sophisticated attacks to
get at it.