removing list comprehensions in Python 3.0

EP EP at zomething.com
Sun Jul 10 22:08:28 EDT 2005

> Well, I want to offer a more radical proposal: why not free squared
> braces from the burden of representing lists at all? It should be
> sufficient to write

> list()

<snip>

>From a visual comprehenison point of view, I would assert that the square form [] is much easier on the eyes than the subtler curved forms (e.g. "{" and "(").

Burdened with old eyes, small fonts, and an old, inflexible mind (;-), one of Python features near and dear to me are lists, [], and list comprehensions, but perhaps a more important point for 3.0 would be that there is a seamless consistency across the language (e.g.  [list(), dict(), tuple()] or [ [], {}, () ] rather than [list(), {}, ()]) thus reflecting a cohesiveness both in underlying approach and symbology.

Even old guys can adjust to something new that is good and clean.