Will Guido's "Python Regrets" ever get implemented/fixed?

John Roth newsgroups at jhrothjr.com
Sun Jul 3 09:15:17 EDT 2005

"Robert Kern" <rkern at ucsd.edu> wrote in message
news:mailman.1264.1120368566.10512.python-list at python.org...
> seberino at spawar.navy.mil wrote:
>> Guido gave a nice "Python Regrets" Power Point talk at OSCON few years
>> ago.
>>
>> I was wondering if the plan is to ever implement these ideas.
>>
>> e.g. Guido said he'd prefer 'print' to be a *function* with perhaps a
>> 'println' version IIRC.
>>
>>        He also had a ton of stuff he'd rather see become iterators.
>
> As currently being (re)discussed at tedious length in recent threads here,
> changes would will only be realized in Python 3.0 (aka Python 3000 in
> facetious reference to when we can expect to see such a beast).

I believe the current plan is to make compatible changes in the
next few releases, and then make the incompatable changes in
Python 3.0 See PEP 3000 for details.

http://www.python.org/peps/pep-3000.html

What this means is that there is a good chance that a print()
built-in function or method on a file object may show up in
a future release, the print statment won't go away until
Python 3.0.

John Roth