computer algebra packages

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Sun Jul 10 18:49:00 EDT 2005

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 13:12:21 -0400, =?iso-8859-1?Q?Fran=E7ois?= Pinard <pinard at iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

>[Florian Diesch]
>
>> Probably this is usable for you (I never used any of them):
>
>>  This system MAXIMA is [...] based on the original implementation of
>>  Macsyma at MIT [...]
>
>Wow!  A derivative of Joel Moses' integrator!!  I was not aware this
>existed, so thanks for the pointer.  It worked out of the box for me!

>>  Mascyma is (trying to be) a user-friendly graphical frontend for the Computer
>>  Algebra System GNU MAXIMA.  It is written in Python and provides two GUIs,
>>  one of which based on PyGTK, the other based on wxPython.
>
>I was not successful googling for this one.  Would you have an URL handy?

I also found

    http://packages.ubuntu.com/hoary/math/mascyma

by googling for "A user-friendly frontend for MAXIMA"

(I find that quoting a whole phrase that is likely to be repeated in
docs and in references often finds stuff)

Then googling for mascsyma [sic ;-)] got

    http://home.arcor.de/mulk/projects/mascyma/index.xhtml.de
leading to screenshots at
    http://home.arcor.de/mulk/projects/mascyma/screenshots.xhtml.de

No idea what the status of all that is, but looks nice.

Regards,
Bengt Richter