map/filter/reduce/lambda opinions and background unscientificmini-survey

John Roth newsgroups at jhrothjr.com
Sat Jul 2 06:01:38 EDT 2005

"Robert Kern" <rkern at ucsd.edu> wrote in message
news:mailman.1226.1120271406.10512.python-list at python.org...

> map and filter are being removed *because of* list comprehensions. Did you
> even read Guido's articles about this issue? Your understanding of why
> these changes are planned is incorrect; consequently your projection based
> on that understanding is not on firm footing.

May I most respectfully point out that you've got it backwards.
Part of the justification for list comprehensions was that they could
be used to replace map and filter.

The jihad against the functional constructs has been going on for a
long time, and list comprehensions are only one piece of it.

John Roth