whois like functionality on Windows?

Gerrit Muller gerrit.muller at embeddedsystems.nl
Fri Jul 1 04:35:48 EDT 2005

Peter Hansen wrote:

> If the address doesn't get mapped to a name by a DNS server, I strongly
> suspect you will get nowhere with whois, or much else.  Not all IP
> addresses have corresponding domain names: many are dynamic addresses
> assigned on the fly to arbitrary customers of (for example) cable modem
> service providers, and they're often not interested in providing any
> reverse mapping for them.  Some do (for example, mine is
> pc-136-15.scpe.powergate.ca right now), but many don't...
>
> I'm sure there's a way to identify the domain of the owner of a block of
> addresses in which a given IP resides.  I don't know what it is.
>
> -Peter
In 5 years of logging I did get about 23000 different domains that
accessed my site. For about 1000 IP address ranges I obtained the domain
name manually via whois, mostly via Geektools. Sometimes via more
specific whois servers, such as krnic. These 1000 domain names are a mix
of "real" domain names, for instance from companies, universities or
government, and service providers. It would be nice to automate this
action, although the manual approach is workable.

regards, Gerrit

--
Gaudi systems architecting:
<http://www.extra.research.philips.com/natlab/sysarch/>