Wheel-reinvention with Python

Torsten Bronger bronger at physik.rwth-aachen.de
Sat Jul 30 13:41:31 EDT 2005

Hallöchen!

Peter Decker <pydecker at gmail.com> writes:

> On 7/30/05, Torsten Bronger <bronger at physik.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
>
>> [...]
>>
>> I didn't want to say that Dabo is bad.  I just wanted to point
>> out that its presence (and the presence of comparable projects)
>> doesn't ease the IMO unfortunate situation with GUI toolkits for
>> Python.
>
> Perhaps, but I see it differently, since Dabo doesn't attempt to
> add a new toolkit.

Well, effectively, it does so because from the human point of view,
the programming interface is what you have to deal with.

> [...] Dabo is giving me the best of both worlds: a Pythonic
> language, and great-looking GUI apps. So I feel that it is
> improving the situation with GUI toolkits for Python in that it is
> allowing me to use the best toolkit without having to write
> un-Pythonic code.

You found a solution for you, which is a good thing.  I don't want
to rule out to use Dabo myself.  But in my institute I'd like to
present Python as a viable alternative to Delphi.  In order to
convince people who are used to a homogeneous rock-solid system, you
must present something equivalent.  Of course an open-source project
can never be as homogeneous, but I can't make the whole team switch
to a niche project, ignoring all other GUI alternatives about which
you can even buy books in German!  They'll think "strange, that
Python" (or maybe "strange that Torsten" ;).

> It would be great if the wxPython folks would adopt Dabo, and
> eventually integrate it so that there is but a single, Pythonic
> way of working with wxPython,

Yes indeed.

Tschö,
Torsten.