Efficiency of using long integers to hold bitmaps

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Tue Jul 12 14:39:56 EDT 2005

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 03:24:48 +1000, "Jeff Melvaine" <jeffm at rivernet.com.au> wrote:

>Bengt,
>
>Thanks for your informative reply, further comments interleaved.

Can't reply fully now, but just had the thought that maybe some ideas
from 8-queens solvers might be useful or interesting. There is an old thread at

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_frm/thread/f88f301b7578705a

that explores various ways of solving it, and uses various representations of the board,
including integer bit maps at the end, which turned out fastest IIRC. I'm sure it can still
be improved upon, and I'm not sure it will be worth your while to dig into it, unless you
think the problem fun, but there it is.

Regards,
Bengt Richter