Wheel-reinvention with Python

Kay Schluehr kay.schluehr at gmx.net
Sun Jul 31 13:07:52 EDT 2005

Ed Leafe wrote:
> On Sunday 31 July 2005 01:02, phil hunt wrote:
>
> > You mightn't have, but I suspect more Python programers who've
> > written GUI apps have used Tkinter than any of the other APIs.
> >
> > Not that I'm a particular fan of it, it's just I like
> > standardisation, because then you get network effects.
>
>  At PyCon DC 2004, Guido was asked about wxPython: "wxPython is the best and
> most mature cross-platform GUI toolkit, given a number of constraints. The
> only reason wxPython isn't the standard Python GUI toolkit is that Tkinter
> was there first."

Maybe. But Guidos intention with Python was to create a secondary
language originally - an extension language of C - ( unlike Java that
was concepted as a radically platform independent language and a
successor of C++ ).  Now since Python is 15 years old, some people
start learning Python as their primary language and they begin to ask
why it does not support a native GUI toolkit like TCL with Tk i.e.
something in it's own right with just some C-modules for interfacing
with OS dependent libs ( if any - thanks to the ctypes ffi ! ) and some
other extensions for optimization and maybe scintilla for pluging it
in.

Some other people already abandoned Python not for the worst reasons:

http://www.kevin-walzer.com/pivot/entry.php?id=69

My objection with wrappers around wrappers around wrappers is that I
have no hope ever watching the ground. If some error occurs, which
layer has to be addressed? Which developing group is reponsible? My own
or that of team A, team B, team C ... ? The baroque concept is
repulsive to me and only acceptable in case of legacy code that gets
wrapped around old one and is dedicated to substitute it continously.

Kay