is this pythonic?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Jul 21 17:14:19 EDT 2005

"Steven D'Aprano" <steve at REMOVETHIScyber.com.au> wrote in message
news:pan.2005.07.21.15.43.28.56459 at REMOVETHIScyber.com.au...
> On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 10:27:24 -0400, Bill Mill wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> I said the *builtins* section. I think you learn pretty quick that
>> figuring out what functions are builtins is pretty important in every
>> language. There's a fair number of people out there giving the advice
>> to read chapter 2 of the library reference cover-to-cover for a good
>> starter on python.

Including me.

> Sure. But for a beginner to start learning the language by reading the
> language manual is a bit much to ask.

Sure, but who is suggesting that.  Suggesting that people specifically read
chapter 2 of the Library manual (but only that to start -- I probably have
still not read every chapter yet) is quite different.

> There is no need to get defensive, I was merely commenting on the need to
> understand that inexperienced programmers often don't know enough about
> the language to know where to start looking for the answer.

Which is precise why I try to help by telling them where to start.  A large
number of beginner queries posted here are answered in the builtins
chapter.

Terry J. Reedy