Running Python interpreter in Emacs

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Fri Jul 1 20:43:01 EDT 2005

Rex Eastbourne wrote:
> Yes! Thank you so much! (For some reason, by the way, I had to copy
> python.exe to my c:/ directory,

No, you did _not_ need to copy it there. You did _not_ need to copy it
anywhere. Didn't copying an executable to your root directory [on any
operating system] strike you as being one or more of
unusual/strange/weird/dopey?

> since the computer could never find the
> path in program files/python24.

Probably because you didn't have quotes around it (needed because of the
space) as advised by another poster.

  But when I did that, and used
> setq-py-python-command, it worked. I now have python.exe in two
> locations.)

The Windows Python installer will by default install Python 2.x in
C:\Python2x

One hopes that defaults are sensibly chosen by sensible people. This
appears to have been the case here.

How did you manage to get your Python installed in C:\Program
Files\Python24?