Tricky Dictionary Question from newbie

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Mon Jul 11 23:34:10 EDT 2005

Ric Da Force wrote:
> How does setdefault work exactly? I am looking in the docs and can't figure
> it out...

If the key (the first argument) already exists in the dictionary, the
corresponding value is returned.  If the key does not exist in the
dictionary, it is stored in the dictionary and bound to the second
argument, and then that second argument is returned as the value.

(I always have to ignore the name to think about how it works, or it
gets in the way of my understanding it.  The name makes fairly little
sense to me.)

-Peter